Wednesday 2 January 2013

Steering Master Cylinders - Overhauled

Today spent removing flaking paint from inside the upper turret... using Nitromors and stripping, checking and re assembling the Steering Master Cylinder assembly.

On close inspection the main alloy block had a crack on one of the mounting points....  luckily I had a spare so this was replaced (see photos).

The replacement unit appears to have more reinforcement by the bolt holes so I guess cracking may have been an issue....  just luck that I had a better item in "stock"

Annoyingly I managed to "compromise" one of the master cylinders... I had put a small amount of tissue paper in the fluid inlet to stop brake fluid from dripping onto my work bench..  when I assembled the unit and operated the cylinder the tissue was sucked into the cylinder and caused the piston to stick in the the fully extended position...  will require stripping to rectify.  Again I had a good spare and this was installed.


Before

After


Cracked Unit on Left

The Crack !!


No comments:

Post a Comment